Saturday, February 26, 2011

Al Jazeera English Live Feed

I added that link to the list on the right, so you can easily get there from here. From the live feed, you can go to all sorts of other informative places.

For us old guys, it's a blast from the past, when TV news in the States was actually news 40 years ago, but better. If you're interested in your own history, Americans, go look and see how it used to be in your own country, although as I said, it was never quite this good.

In the States, Jon Stewart's Daily Show is about as close to what it gets to a news show, but Al Jazeera is real news.

While we're in there, the name: Al Jazeera means The Island, and refers to the region between the Tigris and Euphrates Rivers.

1 Comments:

Blogger Bukko Boomeranger said...

I didn't know that about the name al-Jazeera. I've been watching it online a lot since Egypt erupted. When my wife and I have been traveling in Europe, we've been pleased on the times we find the English-language service on hotel TVs. (Also, CNN International doesn't suck nearly as bad as U.S. CNN, as you might know.)

We were also chuffed to discover that the RT (Russian Television) American channel is offered as part of the expanded news package we signed up for with our cable TV provider. Its bias is more obvious than al-J, which comes across as more honest to me. Still, it's great to be able to watch Max Keiser (hilariously angry financial commentator) and Thom Hartmann (cerebral left-wing radio talk show host) on the screen rather than seeking them out via the Internet.

If someone had told me in the 1980s that I'd eventually be watching Arab and Russian news programs to get straight news instead of American propaganda, I'd have said they were crazy. And look how it's turned out...

2/28/2011 12:58 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home