Monday, May 03, 2010

Can you mock this church?

Nicholas Kristoff in the New York Times about some actual Christians in the Roman Catholic Church. It's great to see something working as designed. Read it. It's good to see that it's not ALL BS all the time. And while you're in there, you can reflect that the hostility of the secular press toward religious people is mostly not about hostility to the gospel. It's because the gospel is the last thing to be seen among Christoids. When some evidence for Jesus turns up, they respond just fine - indeed, they like the real Jesus when they see him a good deal better than the professing Christians generally do. Which, judging by who crucified him after fighting him all the time, is what we read in the gospels, isn't it?

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/05/02/opinion/02kristof.html?src=me&ref=general

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Pete. I've been having an identity crisis as of late. Im finding that what I'm getting in school is going against my own values and that I'm not sure school is all it's cracked up to be. I'm finding that we talk about everything in school but the simple things that I think could really make a difference. The teacher made the comment that it's not necessary to hit kids over the head with things like statistics, "Really, who uses this in the real world anyway?" How can this attitude toward a fundamental subject such as math be found among teachers. These types of comments are embittering me towards the educational system. I've been led to research Traditional education because of what I'm hearing in school, although I don't want to make the mistake of discrediting everything I've learned in school. But it does seem that there is a denial among teacher that improvements can be made in education if we would only look at basic problems with teacher themselves i.e. subject matter knowledge and things of the sort.
Please read this short article and let me know what you think. It's been hard for me to discuss these matter with anyone else. I feel like no one will listen. Thanks
http://www.rationalamerican.com/rp.org/archives/math.html
Eddie b.

5/07/2010 11:27 AM  
Blogger Peter Attwood said...

The article seems to me to make perfect sense, and illustrates again what happens when you force reality into ideology. We can feel more knowledgeable, like we have the answers, when we can fall in love with some adorable ideology and make the whole world fit.

Edworld is undoubtedly a vile place. So do you want to teach kids there? I see people who succeed in doing so. I've even seen administrators go out of their way to do the right thing - not often, and not too dangerously far, it is true.

Moses was learned in all the wisdom of the Egyptians, and Daniel and his companions in the literature and religion of the Chaldeans, but they undoubtedly found fault with some of that stuff. There you are too. It's all written up in the book before we came along, praise God.

5/07/2010 1:17 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home