Monday, April 06, 2009

Interesting new blog

I added John Mearsheimer's blog to my links on the right. He has an interesting word about "the dumbing down of US economic and foreign policy elites." I've been interested for a while in what causes us to be so stupid, since answering that helps us to learn wisdom, and my own stupidity has brought lots of trouble down on me, which I'd like to see less of going forward!

The short answer is that "with the humble is wisdom," as the proverb says. But there's a lot of material in those words needing to be unfolded, I've noticed. Study of particular cases in detail can help, which is why Barbara Tuchman's "The March of Folly" is a great read. And so is John Mearsheimer's entry for 3/24.

For those of you who thought that the departure of George Bush, the Prince of Darkness, would make everything better . . . welcome to our brave new world, in which not so much has changed, especially such minor details as basic beliefs and therefore the policies that flow from them.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home