Friday, December 04, 2015

Out of Weakness, Strength

We completed the 4th day of hearing yesterday in Student v Colton Joint Unified School District and San Bernardino County Superintendent of Schools.  The day before, the opposing lawyer had cross-examined me trying to prove what a bad guy I was, having advised my clients not to talk to the districts and so forth - complete nonsense as the evidence shows, a really shameless nuts and sluts defense that began with her opening statement. All good clean fun, and I think helpful to our case.

But mom was on yesterday.  Mom speaks only Spanish.  She just told the story of how they lost her non-verbal son for hours, how nobody knew where he was, and how the County principal just laughed at her.  She cried.  The trauma inflicted on her is obvious.  I cried. 

I see a lot of horrible stuff that the education industry does to kids and their parents, and the rest of society, but I seldom cry about it.  That mom's testimony is certainly the most compelling in the hearing.  She doesn't know any law.  She doesn't know any English.  But she obviously knew more than anyone else about the things that matter.  God has indeed chosen the weak things of the world to bring to nothing the strong, and you see it now and then.

Two more days are set for hearing, on the 8th and 9th, and the lawyer for the districts will have another hour with me to try to prove that 2+2=13.  But I'm pretty sure it won't be like mom's testimony yesterday.   

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home