Sunday, May 20, 2007

Songs of Ascents

The Songs of Ascents, Psalms 120-134, have been among my favorites for a long time, since Bob Mumford's little book drew my attention to them when I first became a Christian 35 years ago. But when I encountered them in my normal reading cycle a week ago, I noticed for the first time that since they are songs of ascents, and ascent is always accomplished by humbling ourselves (Luke 14:7-11), then they must indeed be guides in how to humble ourselves so that God may lift us up.

So I have begun reading them again with that truth in view, and sure enough, I've been noticing some things. I bet you will too. After some further reflection, I plan to start a series on them.

The Bible tells us all the time to humble ourselves so that we might ascend. It would be amazing if there were no specific intructions on how to do that. So, readers, your homework, if you wish to accept it, is the Songs of Ascents, Psalms 120-134. I hope to hear from you on what you find.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

How is this?:
"This is a series of 15 psalms aimed at bringing a person out of the earthly mire heavenward. To be able to channel misery and adversity into a means of grasping ever closer to God is in itself a demonstration of the power that God has instilled within each of us."
Gayle

5/22/2007 8:07 AM  
Blogger Peter Attwood said...

It's not a bad summary. But it's important to remember that the way heavenward is down to earthliness, as Jesus demonstrated. Satan is much too spiritual to be earthly - he ascends, he sits on the sides of the north, he makes himself like the Most High. Satan forgets that the Most High humbles himself to make himself like us, of the earth, inviting us to do likewise. He's too high and lifted up to ever be like the Most High. Let's learn not to be like him!

5/22/2007 10:01 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home