Sunday, June 10, 2007

"He that winks the eye causes trouble"

I think it was Will Rogers that said, "Good judgment comes from experience, and experience comes from bad judgment." Wisdom is to receive instruction and love reproof, so as to receive as much good judgment as possible from the experience and bad judgment of others, instead of having to learn it all on our own dime. Who can afford that many dimes, and isn't there enough bitterness in life as it is? But as Rogers pointed out elsewhere, "Some men learn by listening, while others have to pee on the electric fence for themselves."

But sometimes, in God's mercy, we can learn by doing right - as the psalm says, "Good understanding is to those who do."

Yesterday I hooked up a flight home for Stephen, and Continental's software screwed up. Knowing he was a 14-year-old child, who could not fly unaccompanied, it routed him through the last flight out of Houston and didn't charge me the extra $95 for unaccompanied minors, somehow forgetting that age 14 must fly as an unaccompanied minor. The thought that I might leave well enough alone did cross my mind.

However, I remembered how it is written, "He who winks the eye causes trouble." I looked and foresaw trouble when he reached the ticket counter, so I called them to have them straighten it out. The guy on the phone had redone it and was about to put it through with the extra charge when Continental's phone system abruptly tossed me off the back of the truck, as such big phone systems sometimes do.

Back to the beginning, another wait through some odious "music" - not that Continental is worse than usual that way. Only the Internal Revenue Service plays really good music while you wait. But then the lady that answered hooked me up and, figuring that the airline had screwed up and ought to eat it, decided not to add the extra. So this time I saved a hundred bucks for doing right, besides the trouble Stephen won't see when he gets to the airport in Montgomery.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home