Thursday, May 07, 2009

Sacramento

I went to Sacramento on the bus with California Association for Parent and Child Advocacy (CAPCA), to lobby the legislature, chiefly concerning SB701 and AB1124. SB701 changes the governing boards of Special Education Local Plan Areas (SELPA) to be run by school board members instead of Superintendents as today, and AB1124 keeps 3-year-olds in their current placement when they move up into the school system if due process is filed.

But we also attended a hearing on SB1538, which is to restrict the use of restraints in schools. So they asked for witnesses in favor, and there I was, so I got to testify how CVUSD had abused my son, and how nothing has been done about it, and the committee took my website. I was completely unprepared, not expecting it, but I was told I did pretty well up there. I have testified at my first legislative hearing in favor of a bill. CDE spoke in opposition: everything is fine, since they do such a great job of investigating complaints!

I need some sleep now. I shall be busy tomorrow. It seems I need to go to Joshua's IEP meeting first thing, file two compliance complaints, and catch up on work, before going to the Chino teachers' rally and speaking at the board meeting.

2 Comments:

Blogger California Progressive said...

Thank you for going and for speaking up for our children.

5/08/2009 12:20 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's awesome Peter! Way to go!

Joe

5/08/2009 5:48 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home